Genesis Live in action.
The .GSD file is data saved when using the Genesis Live Feature on your newer Lowrance Device*. The .GSD file is a much smaller file than the standard .SL* file and will upload faster than the standard .SL* file. Now you can upload the .GSD file to your Genesis account, merge it to your custom map and in the near future to the Social Map**. Keep in mind the file only contains depth and GPS location information. The .SL* file contains other information such as vegetation and bottom composition. In this blog we’ll cover how to get the file from your unit to your account on Genesismaps.com.
Step 1: Create a Custom Map Using Genesis Live
Lowrance’s Genesis Live feature allows anglers and boaters to create their own detailed maps of the underwater environment in real-time, as they navigate through the water. These custom maps are automatically saved on a Micro SD card with a .GSD file extension, which can be uploaded to the C-MAP Genesis cloud-based service for sharing with others. Here’s how to create a GSD file and upload it to the C-MAP Genesis server.
To create a custom map using Genesis Live, you’ll need a compatible Lowrance MFD unit, such as the HDS LIVE or Elite Ti2. Once you’ve got your MFD unit set up and connected to your boat’s transducer, follow these steps to create a custom map:
- Place a 32 GB or smaller Micro SD card in the slot of your Lowrance Unit.
- Select “Genesis Live” from the Chart “Overlay” options.
- Start navigating through the water, and Genesis Live will begin creating a custom map of the underwater environment in real-time.
- Continue navigating until you’ve mapped the area you’re interested in; the custom map will be saved to the SD card in your MFD unit as a .GSD file.
Step 2: Upload the GSD File to the C-MAP Genesis Server
Now that you’ve created a custom map in the form of a GSD file, it’s time to upload it to the C-MAP Genesis server so that it can be shared with others. Follow these steps to upload your GSD file:
- Go to the C-MAP Genesis website (https://www.genesismaps.com/).
- If you don’t already have a C-MAP Genesis account, create one by clicking on the “Sign Up” button and following the prompts.
- Once you’re signed into your C-MAP Genesis account, click on the “Web Upload” button.
- Follow the prompts to upload your GSD file to the C-MAP Genesis server.
- Once your GSD file has been uploaded and processed, you may** view it on the C-MAP Genesis Social Map, sharing it with other C-MAP Genesis users or purchase an Edge account to view your trips from the dashboard, keep them private and use trip editing functions including merging the GSD file with the standard .SL* files.
.GSD Trip on the Dashboard
.GSD trip in the Trip Viewer
And that’s it! With Lowrance’s Genesis Live feature and the C-MAP Genesis cloud-based service, creating and sharing custom maps of the underwater environment has never been easier. Whether you’re an angler looking to share information about productive fishing spots or a boater looking to navigate through areas that may not be well-charted on commercial maps, the GSD file and the C-MAP Genesis service can help you take your on-water adventures to the next level.
*Compatible devices include Hook Reveal, Elite Ti, Elite Ti2, Elite FS, HDS Gen3, HDS Carbon, HDS Live, HDS Pro
**Depending on the waterbody and the quality of the data it could be excluded from the Social Map.