With GoFree Hooked, our new free fishing app, you can use your smart-phone to log fish-catch details and photos, compete in live-leaderboard tournaments, and populate your Insight Genesis maps with pins marking the locations of the fish you catch — whether you hooked ‘em in your boat, a buddy’s boat, or from shore. What’s more, those pins can be exported later for use in a compatible sonar/GPS unit on the water.
GoFree Hooked creates the first of many planned integrations between maps and apps for the Lowrance and Simrad communities. With this app in hand, not only can you compete against your friends and other fishermen in private and public tournaments, you can also improve your future fishing results by logging catch details and learning why you caught fish where you did.
“From the easy to use interface, to the fun competition feature, the GoFree Hooked app gives anglers the ability to challenge their friends or even challenge others around the world,” said Leif Ottosson, CEO, Navico. “You can decide whether to share your success or keep it private. However you use the app, it is a useful tool to help keep a record of your catches and analyze the results to improve your fishing.”
Integrate app with map to develop & expand on fish-producing patterns
The location of any fish-catch you log with GoFree Hooked is automatically marked with a pin in the online displays of both your custom-made Insight Genesis maps and your personal view of Insight Genesis Social Map charts. Click on the pin to see all the details about the catch you logged with the app — species, weight, length, bait type and color, depth, cover and/or structure, weather conditions, etc. Those pins — complete with your details — can then be converted easily to a GPX file, saved to an SD card, and imported as waypoints into your compatible Lowrance or Simrad sonar/GPS unit.
This feature makes GoFree Hooked stand out way beyond not only other fishing apps, but also beyond anything ever done before with marine electronics. With its revolutionary integration of catch data from app to map on the boat, GoFree Hooked can turn a fish photo into more than just braggin-board fodder for social media, but a tool for learning why you caught a fish where you did and using that knowledge to catch more and bigger fish the next time you’re on the water.
When you see your catch-location pins overlaid on a Genesis map’s one-foot contours, bottom-hardness layer and submerged-vegetation layer, it’s easy to see what fish are relating to and then apply that pattern to catch more fish throughout the rest of the lake. We’ll talk more about how to do that in an ensuing blog post.
It’s important to note that although your catch-location pins are visible to you on Social Map charts, they are not publicly visible to others — no one can see your pins but you. Because Insight Genesis and the Hooked app exist in the same GoFree cloud-based ecosystem, you enjoy the features of each by logging in with the same GoFree account username and password. So you can only see catch-location pins on a Genesis map when you’re logged into the same GoFree account you were logged into when you recorded your catches with the Hooked app.
Also setting apart GoFree Hooked from the crowd is a feature that allows you to organize and compete in your own live-leaderboard fishing competitions. Add a whole new dynamic to fishing by challenging other anglers – be they friends, family or all comers. Challenge categories include:
- Biggest Fish
- Best Five-Fish* Limit (*Limit number is customizable)
- Combined Weight of All Fish Caught
- Combined Length of All Fish Caught
YOU decide the challenge! YOU make the rules and invite challengers. Competitions can be public or private. Battle for bragging rights or make it more interesting. … What you compete for is up to YOU!
Additional functionality of the GoFree Hooked app includes:
- Angler profile management – Customize your profile so you can be uniquely identified within GoFree’s worldwide community of anglers
- Fast and efficient fish photos – Easily take and save a photo of every fish caught and logged (your camera will automatically turn on after you tap the “record a catch” button)
- Trip histories – Review details from previous fishing trips, including GPS locations, trails and the exact location of each catch, to repeat fishing success.
- Log important catch details – Log bait type and color, water temp, water clarity, water depth, cover/structure targeted, barometric pressure, sky/cloud conditions and any other conditions you accounted for to make your catches.
- Share your success – People don’t believe your fish stories? Upload photo evidence and size stats right through the app. Share images via text, email or social media.
GoFree Hooked is available for iPhones via iTunes. A beta Android version is available now via Google Play. Learn more about GoFree Hooked in this video: